Monday, March 16, 2009

A New Love, Crescent Rolls

I must admit that I have a soft spot in my tummy for bread. I don't really like the fancy breads but give me home baked hot rolls any day. This new recipe is no exception. I found this online and I'm in love! Here's the original recipe, how I found it.


Ingredients
2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
3/4 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
1/2 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup shortening
4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup butter, softened

DIRECTIONS
Dissolve yeast in warm water.
Stir in sugar, salt, eggs, shortening, and 2 cups of flour. Beat until smooth. Mix in remaining flour until smooth. Scrape dough from side of bowl. Knead dough, then cover it and let rise in a warm place until double (about 1-1/2 hours).
Punch down dough. Divide in half. Roll each half into a 12-inch circle. Spread with butter. Cut into 10 to 15 wedge. Roll up the wedges starting with the wide end. Place rolls with point under on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise until double (about 1 hour).
Bake at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) for 12-15 minute or until golden brown. Brush tops with butter when they come out.



Now here's how I tweaked it. I added all of the ingredients to my breadmaker in this order: all flour, sugar, salt, eggs, butter, shortening, and yeast dissolved in warm water. I then turned the breadmaker to the "dough" setting and did my own thing for an hour and a half. When it was done, I dumped the dough onto a floured counter and kneaded then cut it in half and rolled it to about 1/4 inch thick. Then I cut the dough into triangles (which I'm obviously not good at doing) and rolled them up, fat end first. I placed them in the pan and let them rise another hour or so, until doubled in size. Then I slapped them into my oven, preheated to 350* instead of 400*. I'm not sure how long I cooked them for, but it was until they were done :o) I brushed them with butter and burned my fingers trying to eat the first one, oops! Anyhow, these are AWESOME! I'll never buy the canned ones again! TW


2 comments:

  1. These look soo good! Will have to give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh those were GOOD! I couldn't believe how well they turned out for my first try. Now to perfect my rolling skills and I'll be good to go!

    ReplyDelete